Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thrifted Thursday

It's been a rather barren couple of months in the thrifty treasure department around here. I haven't been going to my local haunts much, and when I have given in to the impulse, there hasn't been anything to get excited about. I have walked out empty-handed more often than not. Still, there are a few little things I have collected that I am quite pleased with.

These lovely blue glass canning jars, complete with lids that have the unbroken glass inside...very rare to find that these days. And this super cool old industrial looking hand-held lamp, quite "Steampunk" if you ask me. The curved handle is made from wood and it has a great feel to it.

I had been wanting a food dehydrator for some time. This one in "mint" condition came home with me for a mere $5! The dried apples came out perfect! We used 'Honey Crisp' apples and they have a wonderful flavor when dried.

Then I came across a pile of these! I started collecting 'The Family Creative Workshop' Series last year. They are these awesome craft/art/self-reliant type books from the 70's and they rock! The information and how-tos they contain are varied and fascinating really. I now have over half of the series, hooray!

If ever the rain stops falling...it should be close to yard sale season soon. I wonder what treasures may await. Until then, what has been your favorite find of late?

15 comments:

Mary said...

I collect the Family Creative Workshop, too. I think they're just about the best-done craft books I've ever read. Glad to find a fellow enthusiast!

Unknown said...

Nice finds!

I always feels so disappointed when I get skunked at a thrift store. It's hard to walk out empty-handed, but that's just how it goes.

I've actually had some luck this week. I've been thrifting for materials for our wedding, mostly, and found some good second-hand linens and jars. We also found (I'll be posting about this soon) some books on tole and folk art that are really inspiring!

Anyway, I hope it stops raining soon, too. It's been so stormy, and I could really use some sun. :)

Ms C @ HappyElastic said...

I went to my first car boot sale of the year last weekend and found a load of vintage knitting patterns. It was so cold my hands could barely flick through them but I came away with some great ones. I also got a pine table that had already been reduced from £5 to £3 by the time I got to it.

Love the blue jars!

Kylie said...

We have a dehydrator that we use loads too, it was also a secondhand gem. Aplles, pineapple, bananas etc all get dipped in lemon juice (to stop browning) and then put in there, we also make homemade plum leathers - better than the shop bought ones as there is no sugar added. The Children love them! Works well with tomatoes too - semi dried and then stored in a jar with olive oil.

I love junk shop finds too. Well done on yours.

Katiebee said...

lucky you! looks like some great finds~ i found a child's tea set for my newest grandgirlie (she's not here yet) and a super cute bedtable~ looking forward to yard sales~

hugs,

katie

Sherri B. said...

It is so fun to finally find things after a thrift shop drought. I love those how-to books from the past and the thrill of adding to the series. At a small thrift shop I found a complete set of books on knitting, dressmaking and needlecraft titled "Golden Hands" printed in the late 60's and early 70's. It is a kick to look through but also nice that the information and instruction never go out of style...So nice to see and hear what others are finding, thanks for sharing.

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Great treasure hunting finds!

xxx said...

I love the glass jars... I just a thing for glass :-)

Tas said...

I have found a beautiful powder blue winter coat for a few bucks and a couple of tops that will become skirts for my daughter. But the little pink elephant egg cups that I found last month are the cutest!

harmony and rosie said...

No real finds here but I do like yours. Particularly interested in your bargain dehydrator, we buy air dried apple and pear crisps at some overinflated price so I think I may look one up for ourselves!

Happy weekend x

Ribbons Undone said...

Nice collection of thrifted treasures. My latest and greatest find, just from last week, is a pair of Lucky Brand jeans in next-to-new condition for $3.60!!!

Sarah Jackson said...

nice finds! We just moved back to PDX from Phoenix and apparently we picked a really bad time, sun wise. At least we saw it today!

Not to sound all stalkerish, but I'd love a new like minded friend in the neighborhood. My blog is www.greenclogs.com. Your blog is lovely.

june at noon said...

You have such a touch with that well-loved, cottage look. Love it!

Janee Lookerse said...

Oh those ARE great finds! I got some the other day with my best friend, I'll post about them on Monday and send you the link!

xoxo
Janee
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

diane said...

we had a garage sale yesterday- i wish you could have come. i love your jars.
i had an awesome find at my fancy goodwill- 2 pale green wicker rocking chairs for the back patio- one adult and one kid sized! i love them.