Sunday, March 27, 2011

Think good thoughts

Hello Monday, I am so pleased to begin a new week. A week of thinking good thoughts, healing thoughts, grateful thoughts.
Speaking of...I deeply appreciated all the kind comments you left me. They truly made my family and I feel cared for. Thank you.

Now that it is a new week, I can share with you a moment of sweetness from a certain 6 year old's party. She had such a grand time! We crammed our itty bitty cottage full of kids and grown ups. I think everyone had a nice time. There was mask making with feathers and glue (a very big hit). The sun came out long enough for the wigglies to run and chase chooks as well as each other. And of course there was cake.

I used the recipe from this blog post with yellow tinted whipped cream as frosting and topped with fresh strawberries. It was lovely and light and gone in record time.

And there was that yellow dress...well, it's mostly yellow.

Made from a sweet vintage seersucker with wee raspberries on it. The fabric was from my mother; it had apparently been biding it's time patiently in my cabinet for a few years for just this moment; the moment that Pony Girl declared her yen for yellow!

When asked how it felt to be 6, Pony Girl replied in a surprisingly world weary tone, "Old."

I will be back with more good thoughts, good stuff, healing stuff, grateful stuff...
That's right, it's all about chocolate!

19 comments:

willow and moo said...

"Old" eh? She hasn't seen nothing yet! LOL

Does Pony Girl wear her Converse a lot. Moo has those pink ones too, but will hardly ever wear them. I would have thought she would have been more keen to be like Mum would wears them all the time. Guess not. ;)

Vic said...

Old indeed!

Tell the Pony Girl I have me some pink cons too & they're my favourite & my best even though I don't like pink that much at all!

xx

mel @ loved handmade said...

That cake looks fantastic, YUM! Your birthday girl looks pretty gorgeous too in her sweet yellow dress, what a great sunshiney colour to be loving..x

Unknown said...

I'm loving all that yellow! Tell your daughter she has good tastes. That cake looks so, so good. Well done!

Floss said...

How wonderfully yellow! Our Son 2 had a huge yen for yellow in his early years, and we found it very handy to dress him all in yellow when we went out, because it meant we couldn't loose him in a crowd...

Happy Birthday to your lovely girl and have a wonderful week with just the right amount of chocolate (I wonder how much that IS?).

Flaming Nora said...

Happy new week. Love the yellow dress and the "attitude" pose, 6 is so very very old. And could seriously do with a slice of that cake right now before I head off down to the shed to start the boring old working week!

Tas said...

Lovely dress- with a lovely history.
Glad things are a little brighter at your end xx

Michelle said...

Cake does make all the difference...

I am so sorry for the sad times your family have had...and have been thinking of you my dear friend...

Sometimes kind words and friends help us through when brightness isn't always there...

Sometimes putting our own brightness into our day helps...some sunny yellow...

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Some much needed squeals of delight in the little cottage- that is great!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Gorgeous dress and yummy cake too!
Wish I was as 'old' as Pony Girl!!
Vivienne x

Tania said...

Oh, happy birthday sweet six year old.

I suspect that was some much needed brightness around your place (requiring a good sit down and a heck of a recuperative post-birthday cup of tea afterwards?)...x

Colette said...

Good to see some cheery birthday times. That cake looks delicious. Happy week, x

Sherri B. said...

That is a very pretty 6 yr. in her new favorite, mostly yellow, dress.

Yummy looking birthday cake..I'm off to check out the link.

Looking forward to the chocolate that you have up your sleeve.

Mom L said...

Pony Girl is so beautiful and spring like! I sure wish I had the energy of a 6-year old. That cake looks scrumptious - I can certainly believe it didn't last long.

Nancy in Iowa

Vintage Tea Time said...

Yummy looking cake. Glad you had a happy birthday time, to take you away, temporarily, from the sad times. Hope this week's good to you. X

june at noon said...

The cake looks delicious. My pink-and-yellow loving daughter would go for that one in a heartbeat! (And the dress, too.)

Mare said...

Look at how Grown UP Pony Girl looks in that picture! Happy Birthday dear friend!

lifeshighway said...

Great job of making a very yellow birthday and great save with the yellow whipped cream! The cake looks wonderfully tasty.

Janee Lookerse said...

I'm so glad you are all back :) Pony Girl looks fantastic in her dress! I wondered if you were going to have the time to whip up something other than the lovely pink one you'd started! Did she like her cake? I'm guessing this one was more sweet than lemony of course...

:::This is me squinching my eyes tight and thinking good thoughts in your direction::: :D As for healing stuff, laughter is the best medicine and I'm so glad you enjoyed my post today.

xoxo
J
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com