Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Vintage Bee

Well, it's our third day of school and I promise to report our adventures soon but, right now I want to talk about a bee. Yes, a wee buzzy bee in my bonnet ever since these lovelies arrived at my door from the equally lovely Kate. It didn't take me too long to decide what to make of them though, the actual making was in bits here and there.

Sometimes sewing keeps me sane, sometimes it is a meditative exorcise and a peaceful sanctuary, where I can quiet my mind to the stresses of the day and focus in a singular manner that brings a bit of joy and satisfaction.

As I was carefully pressing and cutting, I thought about the interesting journey these bits of fabric had been on in their lives. Their most recent being from across the universe (o.k. from another hemisphere) having passed through the hands of another making mama and sent to me. I felt quite a connection while working with the fresh and floral scenery, I felt encouraged and happy whilst sewing my seams...

...and this is what I made.(go ahead, click the pictures, you know you want to)

I used the pattern for the Insa Skirt from the book "Sewing Clothes Kids Love", also available separately from Farbenmix. I added some vintage sheet stash of my own and everything but the thread and label is vintage.

The back...

I absolutely love how it turned out, I really enjoyed the making, and I love that I felt connected to the person who sent me the fabric and the persons responsible for the pattern. What an amazing thing this bloggy world is. Don't you think?

18 comments:

melissa said...

Your skirt is absolutely stunning , what a lovely use for all of those yummy fabrics!

Sherri B. said...

It makes me happy just looking at it. Everything you create always turns out so very nice, you can see the love that went into it.

Boom Boom Shabam said...

I would totally sport that skirt.

CurlyPops said...

Oh my goodness, it's chock full of vintagey goodness. Gorgeous!

Cathie said...

oh my! that is A M A Z I N G!!!
what a happy skirt!
happy day to you ♥

Katiebee said...

how lucky pony girl is have such a talented mama! it is as cute as can be~

Floss said...

The skirt is just wonderful, and the connections are even more special! I agree with you about the wonderful connections within blogging - on my ever-changing sofa, one cushion stays all year round, and it was made for me by Sarah from Red Gingham in New Zealand. I always think of her when I see lots of sagging cushions in need of a wash and her one, shining jewel of a cushion between them!

Mom L said...

This is wonderful! The clothes I made for Diane when she was little seem so unimaginative compared to what you do for Pony Girl!!!

Nancy

Flaming Nora said...

Wow what a beautiful skirt. I love your post. It must be said you hit a note with me when talking about the history of the fabrics. I wrote an article on my blog about it earlier this year. The wondering what life the fabric had before it came to me, imagining the overheard conversations, family gatherings, tears, tantrums and laughter a vintage table cloth has experienced keeps me happy whilst sewing away. Wonderful!

lifeshighway said...

Your genius with fabric and color never stops amazing me. I love the cut of the skirt and how the florals all play together.

May Pony Girl always want to dress girly.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Wow - beautiful skirt. Lovely way to use those gorgeous sheets.

Kate said...

Oh my goodness, it is stunning!
Those fabrics that i bought after being locked in the op shop that time were so meant to go and live with you. I adore it. I feel a bit spec to have contributed to such an awesome skirt. Yay!

harmony and rosie said...

Love the skirt, love it. I can just imagine PG doing some kind of funky dance in it!

Unknown said...

I just looove that fabric! And that skirt is something I would wear! I just got a great new book with cute skirt patterns that fabric like you used here would be perfect for. Great inspiration. Thanks!

Tammy said...

This is stunningly gorgeous! Beautiful work, I might have to check out that book : )

Tracey@bountifully said...

oh lovely, lovely, I do love what you have done with these delicous fabrics. Glad to stumble upon your blog today, look forward to following along

Unknown said...

OMG!!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Leah said...

wow. I have the book and I have the vintage linens guess what Im making soon! Your skirt looks so well constructed and the little heart is to cute.