Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September

"It is a sad moment when the first phlox appears. It is the amber light indicating the end of the great burst of early summer and suggesting that we must now start looking forward to autumn. Not that I have any objection to autumn as a season, full of its own beauty; but I just cannot bear to see another summer go, and I recoil from what the first hint of autumn means."
- Vita Sackville-West


I must admit to a certain melancholy, with the shift came gray and rain and I am not altogether prepared for the fall. I feel a bit panicked concerning the unripe tomatoes and the sugar pumpkins. Sad for our doomed apples and us, suddenly thrust into layers and socks and closed toed shoes.

The summer so short, and I promise I was not complaining of the Heat Wave when it came, only describing it. I'd welcome one more. Still, there is much to do, where sad faces don't carry much weight and it's best to move on...

So, there is back to school sewing and the garden that couldn't wait, must - in it's soaked tendrils be patient.

Soon, when it cools even more, there is much to look forward to. Fumbling with yarn, drinking hot cocoa, hiding in cozy blankets, all worthwhile pursuits indeed. I am just not quite ready yet.

9 comments:

june at noon said...

I totally understand. I really love the fall and changing seasons, but I love summer more. At least there are cozy things to look forward too. We'll just keep remembering that. :) How's Pony Girl liking school?

Pia K said...

beautiful put by vita, and yes, one really ahs to try hard to just be in the moment with each day getting closer to autumn and having to say goodbye to yet another summer, melancholy. and as beautiful as autumn can be with all its bursting colours, you are so so right "closed toe shoes". that's so definitive.

i hope there will be some glorious and warm indian summer days still, because right now i can't believe how quickly the chill of autumn came upon us:/

Sherri B. said...

I love Autumn but I am sad for the garden that never really made it..I can see my grandmother shaking her head and saying "the year of the green tomato." We never wanted to hear that dreaded prediction...I think we still have some warm weather left, September in the NW can be warm.
I still have some scraps of the same light fabric with pink flowers in your project. About 14 yrs. ago I bought it for a quilt class I was taking...how fun to see it again. Love the fabrics you have combined.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Maybe we can swap- you should come down here for the winter in the part of Australia where I live- it is very short and it really doesn't get below 18 degrees celcius... your post was lovely but I could hear your melancholy.... I feel the same that our summer is approaching wondering how hot will it get??!!

Colette said...

I'm feeling just the same, I do like autumn, it just feels a little too soon. The last week here has been grey and dull - but today - wow, sun and lunch in the garden! We'll see how long it lasts...

But the thought of cosy evenings crocheting and stitching are very appealing x

Unknown said...

*sigh* Portland...

I had to prune my tomato plants today in hopes that it will encourage what fruit we have to finally ripen. I love fall, but I internally feel like we've bypassed summer altogether.

tricia said...

Don't worry, my friend. September is often the most beautiful in all it's golden glory. And summer's not over yet...just a little hint of what's to come. Hey - at least you didn't have to water the garden today! I'll betcha we still have another wine (whine?) in the garden left before it sets in. Always love to read your words and pictures =1000

crzylady said...

shorter for you I think then where I am, but yes, still not enough hot days :) I am ready for the crispness in the air though.. and that smell of the fields and the football and all those great things that mean halloween and christmas are on their way!

Photography said...

I love your last pic :-)