Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pulp Sewing

I've been doing some summer sewing. It's like summer reading, nothing too intense, just light, easy and fun. Projects that come in under the 2 hour mark seem to fit the bill. I found a breezy little sundress pattern in the May 2009 issue of Sew Hip Magazine, by Oliver + S. It looked like a quick sew...so, I jumped right in. The whole thing took about an hour and a half to finish, super easy and very cute. Of course I made it a size too big, which is better than a size too small I suppose. I used all vintage fabrics, the bicycle print is one of my favorites (wish I had more of it). Here is my jumping jack model sporting her dress not quite hemmed yet.


Then there are these little bits of whimsy:



Summer wallets! Just big enough to carry the essentials, so that you wont be weighed down whilst off on a grand Summer Adventure. These belong in Tales from the Scrap Heap, since they are great for using up scraps of fabric from your stash. They are so much fun to whip up that I think I'm getting a little carried away.

I made up a simple pattern, tweaked it a couple of times, and now have it down. So, the big news is...
The next time I post, I will have a tutorial on how to make a summer wallet or 5 for yourself!

What have you been making this summer?

2 comments:

C. Proppé said...

I LOVE the bicycle dress! I have twin boys... would love to see something in that bike fabric for boys... a baseball/bike cap? shirts? Shorts? Let me know if you are making and selling items like this in the future. Great work!

secret cake said...

Darling dress and great choice of fabric.

For my next sewing projects, I've bookmarked the shirt dress and the market skirt by dana (dana-made-it.com) She is ridiculously talented and so generous with her tips.